Thursday, 9 August 2012

28mm Colonial Building, Rorkes Drift WIP

I've been wanting to make a building for the Zulu wars theme for quite a while now and after putting together a card mock up, i found some time to crack on with a finished piece.
The walls etc were made from blue 3mm foam board, engraved with random areas of dressed stone, then covered with a render effect. I  used a watered down mix of tile adhesive for the rendering, which i applied in 3 thin coats, sanding inbetween, to get a decent textured effect. I left areas of the stonework showing through to get an aged look and will help to break up the white render when it comes to painting time.
Things like the door frames and window shutters are scratch bult from balsa wood, as was the front planking, which i engraved with a boarding effect.
I wasnt planning on putting interior walls in but they do give it a bit extra strength, so i made them with big opening so they wouldnt take away any skirmish space.
The thatched roof was made using towelling, and there are many tutorials on the web explaining many methods, but i basically cut strips and used watered down PVA to glue it in place. 

 







I think the scale looks ok for 28mm figures, and i'm sure it could be used in many settings. I'm looking forward to getting the time to get this painted, and i'll be adding some crates and barrels around the exterior to add a bit more detail...



2 comments:

  1. I like the roof, the way its sunk in-between the roof beams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a cracking job Sir! Can't wait to see that with some paint on.

    ReplyDelete