Friday, 9 March 2012

28mm Resin Buildings - Part 1

I picked up some buildings on eBay at a reasonable price so I thought I’d have a go at putting them together. They were parts from TSS (Total System Scenic) for 3 buildings; a barn, small dwelling and an outhouse.
I think they are good value for money, and having the parts first hand I thought they were pretty well detailed. A little bit of care when putting them together gives you some very good terrain pieces. Shown pictured with GW 28mm figures the scale of the buildings is pretty good too.

I wanted to put the buildings together so the roofs were removable, so I added some locating pieces of timber on the outhouse, firstly to stop it sliding forwards and secondly as facia boards on the ends to locate it centrally. The facia boards also helped straighten up the slightly curved roof moulding, which does in fact add a little character. For the barn and small dwelling I added roof struts to give it some structural strength, and help the roof stand up to the small knock during game play.  These also serve dual purpose as they act as locating timbers to keep the roofs central on the buildings. I also added some ridge tiles to the top edges to help disguise the join on the two roof components.

I added floors to all the buildings and also a back to the outhouse, so it could be used on its own. The barn has a sand type base, and floorboards floors were added to the other two buildings. I also added some extra timber on the side faces to cover some of the joins on the barn, I opened up the windows on the small dwelling and put an extra window in the barn. Unfortunately i didnt take a pictured at this point, but they'll show up on the finished pictures.

After putting the barn together I added a small upper floor to make the top window accessible and a small ladder. I think this helps give an extra bit of detail, and adds a firing platform for a sniper or two.

One of the things that needed a bit of extra work were filling the small air bubbles on the inside faces and then trying to add a bit of detail to make painting easier. In the various pictures you can probably see the green stuff added to fill the air bubbles. While cleaning up the green stuff I decided to sand all the inner faces with a rough grit sand paper (80grit) to scratch up the surface and make it slightly easier to paint. When painting completely flat, smooth surfaces it is some times more difficult to get a decent finish without putting in a lot of work in, and I’d rather put that time in painting the outside.
Now to crack on with the part 2, the painting…

No comments:

Post a Comment