Wednesday 20 November 2019

Thomarillion Hermitage Hillside, Halfling home, Scouring of the Shire

I picked up a couple of the Hermitage resin fronts from Thomarillion and set about making some Halfling homes with them..

Here is the front as it arrives, compared in size etc to the Forge World front. I picked up two of these..



The casting is comparable to Forge World in equal terms of detail, with no major flaws or flashing problems

My plan was to make one of these similar to Bilbo Baggins home, and to heavily convert the second. Here is the picture I used to compare to Bilbo's home..

Image result for bilbo baggins home

The door and windows was a good match to the Thomarillion piece, so it was only a question of adding some wooden beams, some roof pieces and to change the height and shape of the front..


Balsa was used for the wooden beams and some Wills wooden planking used for the roof pieces. The Wills plastic is pliable so getting it to make the curve was reasonable easy. I just heated it up in some hot water and gently set it into the curve needed.




I glued it to another piece of styrene where I'd cut the basic shape. This would give it some strength, and something for the filler to blend in for the wall texture. This would be the first coat of filler with some further blending needed once its had a coat of primer to help show any irregularities..


Here is the front primed ,showing small areas on the front I need to blend in better.


Then with some 3mm MDF, some foam and some slate pieces, i arrived at this, ready for sand, pva, and paint.. 







Here is the piece ready for painting. Construction is as with all the others, with a 3mm MDF base, foam and covered with filler...


Here is the finished piece. As i mentioned earlier, it was not my intention to make a complete copy. Just something that was similar and open fronted to include placement of miniatures if required. I hope you like the pictures  ... 









No comments:

Post a Comment